Present Perfect or Past Simple
“Have you ever eaten a lobster?”
1. Look at the photo. What can you see?
2. Listen to the dialogue and say what Miriam has already done - mark them in her "Things to do list":
H: Hi, it's Helen. Thanks for the photo. Have you decorated your fantastic new bedroom?
M: Well, I haven't finished. It's a mess! I haven't unpacked all my clothes and I haven't organized my wardrobe. And I haven't put up all my favorite music posters.
H: Have you painted the walls?
M: No, I haven't - they're okay. But Mum and I have done lots of things. The room looks a lot brighter now. We've bought a new bedspread and a new rug. They're red and pink. We've put up new curtains and we've changed the lampshades, too. They look really cool!
H: Have you changed the layout?
M: Yes, I have. I've moved the bed but not the desk. I asked Dad for some bookshelves but he hasn't built them because he's so busy.
H: I can hear music. Is that yours?
M: No, that's my sister Lydia's.
H: Has she done her room?
M: Yes, she has. She's played the same CD ten times. I am sick of it!
Things to do:
unpack clothes -
put up my posters
buy a new rug
put up new curtains
change the lampshades
move the bed
move the desk
build some bookshelves
have / has + V3
already, just, yet, ever, never / since, for
- I have just finished doing my homework.
- You have lived in San Francisco for 4 years.
- He has never driven a car.
ex. 1 Speak about yourself:
read - listen – travel – be – speak – watch – run – eat
Example: Spain – I have never been to Spain.
- Harry Potter books
- Princess Kate
- a marathon
- a ghost
ex. 2 Explain the situations:
- Why are you writing with a pencil? (lose my pen)
- Why is the floor in the kitchen wet? (wash the floor)
- Why are these bags in the hall? (school friends come round)
- Why can't you go out? (not finish homework)
- Why is it so cold? (weather change)
- Why is your bedroom a mess? (not tidy it)
History VS. Result
ex. 3 Choose Present Perfect or Past Simple
- I _____ (visit) Bob last month.
- We _____ (promise) to help them already.
- She _____ (never/do) anything bad.
- She _____ (go) on holiday three weeks ago.
- We _____ (not/do) our work yet.
- She _____ (see) the film three times.
- They _____ (swim) in the sea last summer.
ex. 4 Choose Present Perfect or Past Simple
1) You _____ (not / to have) enough to eat yet. You _____ (to eat) more yesterday.
2) Why _____ (not / you / to tidy) up your room yet? It _____ (to look) really nice last week.
3) Sarah _____ (to go) for a walk with her dog an hour ago. She _____ (not / to come) back yet.
4) I _____ (not / to see) Jean today, but I _____ (to see) her yesterday.
5) Yes, I _____ (to be) to the Lake District before. I _____ (to go) there three years ago.
6) _____ (you / to see) Peter? He _____ (to want) to walk home with me.
7) _____ (you / to see) that man on the motorbike yesterday? I _____ (never / to see) such a dangerous driver.
8) How long do you think we will have to wait? We _____ (to be) here since 2 o'clock.
9) _____ (she / not / to know) who you were any more? I _____ (never / to hear) anything like it before.
10) I _____ (not / to know) you had a new car. How long _____ (you / to have) it for?
ex. 5 Use these prompts to write Present perfect sentences using the adverbs in brackets.
a. William / buy / tickets / for / match. (already)
William has already bought the tickets for the match.
b. Sally / not find / job/? (yet)
c. We / be/ to Wien / four times (already)
d. I / not buy/ new car (yet)
e. David / arrive / from London (yet)
f. Dorothy / see / Star Wars film (never)
ex. 6 Complete these sentences using for or since.
- Mark has had violin lessons ________ last January.
- We have known Diane ________ two years.
- Have you seen Andrew ________ last week?
- Karen has had long hair ________ she was 13.
- They have been close friends ________ twenty years.
- My parents and I lived in the same house ________ 1990.
ex. 7 Put the verbs into the correct tense - Simple Past or Present Perfect.
- Whose car ___________(he/ drive) yesterday?
- What ___________ (just / happen)?
- He ___________(hear) a strange noise for a time.
- ___________ /( the film/ not begin) only ten minutes ago?
- My mother ___________(do) some gardening last summer.
- They ___________(not eat) anything since breakfast time.
- The concert ___________(be) an enormous success for more than 15 years.
- They ___________(destroy) some animal species recently.
- Mr Field ___________(telephone) her just a minute ago.
ex. 8 Choose Simple Past or Present Perfect.
- We met / had met Miriam on the corner of 8th Avenue yesterday.
- Did you see / Have you seen my sunglasses anywhere? I think I have lost / lost them.
- Douglas says that he has already seen / already saw this man before.
- Have you heard / did you hear the news today?
- I had / have had my present job for a year.
- We were / have been at home last night.
- The bus left / have left five minutes ago.
- When did you get / have you got married?
- I was / have been a teacher since 1980.
10. Curtis has lived in New York for / since ten years.
ex. 9 Fill in the gaps using SIMPLE PAST or PRESENT PERFECT.
- I ___________________________ (HAVE) my job for two years.
- ___________________________ (YOU/GO) to Los Angeles last summer?
- She ___________________________ (LIVE) in Rome for three years.
- ___________________________ (YOU/EVER/BE) to China?
- I ___________________________ (PLAY) tennis yesterday.
- Tim ___________________________ (BREAK) his leg last year.
- How long ___________________________ (DAVID/BE) interested in cinema?
- They ___________________________ (GO) to New York in 1990.
- She ___________________________ (NOT/PLAY) tennis last Sunday.
- ___________________________ (YOU/GO) to the cinema last night?
- ___________________________ (SHE/EVER/BE) to Australia?
- We ___________________________ (GO) to Canada last summer.
- She ___________________________ (JUST/TIDY) her room.
- We ___________________________ (NOT/EAT) yet.
- Bob ___________________________ (STUDY) French two years ago.